What’s the deal with mineral oil?
A food grade mineral oil is the industry standard for maintaining wooden kitchen products, including cutting and serving boards. A regular application of mineral oil helps to prevent food odors from being absorbed into the wood and it blocks bacteria from hanging around in nicks that come with regular use. Mineral oil also conditions the board, reducing the appearance of wear over time.
We recommend applying mineral oil 5-7 times a year, or when your board looks dry. Apply mineral oil with a paper towel or soft cloth, in the direction of the grain. Allow the oil to soak into the board (roughly 10 minutes). Remove any excess oil with a dry paper towel or cloth. For edge-grain and end-grain cutting boards, we also suggest applying a board cream at least once a year.
How do I clean and care for my BirchBarn board?
With proper love and care, a BirchBarn Designs board can be handed down for generations. Here are our board care tips:
- NEVER place in the dishwasher.
- Do not submerge your board in water.
- Hand wash with soap & water, followed by a good air dry. If possible, prop your board on its edge to dry.
- To periodically sanitize your wooden cutting board, wash with a solution of one part vinegar to five parts water.
- Remove any odors by rubbing the board with table or kosher salt, scrubbing with half a lemon. Let sit for a few minutes then wipe clean with a damp cloth. Air dry.
- Switch it up. We intentionally do not put feet on our boards, giving you TWO sides to use on every board. We recommend using both sides of your board to help it wear evenly.
- Everyone likes a good massage and our wooden cutting boards are no different. They need a regular rub down with food grade mineral oil to maintain adequate moisture levels. (See instructions above.)
- If you purchased an end-grain or edge-grain cutting board, we recommend applying a specialty board cream at least once a year.
Sadly, I have butchered/neglected my board for far too long.
Hope is not lost! Drop us a line at email@example.com and ask about our board refinishing services.